Course tutor: The course is led by Daniela Mascetti, one of the world’s most renowned and respected jewellery historians. Latterly Chairman of Sotheby’s Jewellery Division, Europe, Daniela worked for the auction house for 40 years, primarily in London and lastly in Geneva, where she was instrumental in the sourcing of highly important single owner collections and consignments. Daniela was responsible for creating the Jewellery teaching programme at Sotheby’s Institute of Art and for 30 years she taught there as well as managing and overseeing the development of these highly popular courses.
Online Course - Art Deco Jewels: explore the origins and development of this highly recognisable style (three parts)
COURSE OVERVIEW: AN ANALYSIS OF THE POPULAR JEWELLERY STYLE, FROM ITS ORIGINS AND DEVELOPMENT TO THE VARIETY OF ITS SOURCES OF INSPIRATION.
The course is in three parts in an interactive, live online format and will be held on one day.
1. 1900-1914: The Preparation of a Style
2. 1920s: Exotic Eclecticism
3. 1930s: Opulence and Glamour
Each session lasts approximately one hour in total and comprises 45 minutes of teaching with time afterwards allocated for attendees’ Q&As.
Cost: $600 per person
New dates for the course will be announced soon
Feedback from some of our October 2021 course participants:
‘…a rich and thorough overview of the Art Deco style and its development…I liked that Daniela discussed both famous jewellers such as Cartier as well as lesser-known designers…I also enjoyed the unexpected connections made between the worlds of jewellery, fine art, theatre and other artistic developments of the period. Highly recommended!’ – C.R.
– ‘Daniela has educated us in the evolution of Art Deco jewellery design in an historical context, from the first decade of the twentieth century to the late nineteen-thirties…She probably has a unique understanding of her field…this provides an extremely thorough approach to her lectures’. – P.W.
– ‘I wanted to say how really impressed I was with your superb series of lectures on Art Deco jewels…your research has been breathtaking…’ – V.D’O
There will be a limited number of places available on each course