Tour - Noble and Royal Jewels: The Treasures of London
David and Daniela guide you through London’s magnificent jewellery collections accompanied by illuminating classes to set the scene
Highlights from the tour include:
– The Crown Jewels at The Tower of London:
A private tour of the world-famous unique collection of sacred and ceremonial objects
– The Victoria & Albert Museum, South Kensington:
A private tour of the William and Judith Bollinger Gallery
The V&A Museum has one of the finest and most comprehensive collections of jewellery in the world, over 3,000 jewels trace the story of European jewellery from ancient times to the present day.
Our tour will focus on highlights from the collection with noble and royal provenance
– Preview of Sotheby’s and Christie’s forthcoming Jewellery auctions:
David and Daniela will guide you through auction highlights accompanied by pre-dinner drinks
– The British Museum:
Here we will admire jewels dating as far back as 5,000 BC, Greek and Etruscan goldwork, Renaissance masterpieces and the very comprehensive Hull Grundy Collection spanning the 18th century to the early 1900s
Our classes will cover the following topics:
– An introduction to the Crown Jewels: we explore the history and symbolism of this unique group of jewels famed throughout the world
– Queen Elizabeth II’s personal jewellery collection: we discover the special jewels which have accompanied the monarch on state and private occasions
– The eclecticism of Victorian jewellery: the long reign of Queen Victoria witnessed several distinct style periods with the age of the machine aiding the production of a wide variety of jewels for every occasion
– Chosen by a King: the splendid jewels of the Duchess of Windsor – we reveal the unique collaboration between the Duke and Paris’ finest ateliers resulting in highly imaginative, glorious jewels which adorned his Duchess
Classes will take place at the Athenaeum Club, Pall Mall. Founded in 1824, the Athenaeum serves as a meeting place for artists, writers and scientists; uniquely at the time of its founding members were elected according to their own individual achievements. Looking out over Waterloo Place, the Grecian exterior of the club house features a statue of Athena and a frieze based on the Parthenon. The interiors follow classical taste, characterised by unity, simplicity and proportion in the style of the Grecian manner.
Accommodation, meals, refreshments, transport and entry to all attractions in London will be included in the total cost.
The tour will accommodate 12 guests.
Please note that the tour and itinerary details as set out here are subject to change.
The full tour itinerary will be available shortly.